Re: HELP: MAXDATAFILES exceeded

From: dhimant patel <lifeiskrishna_at_access1.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 17:01:37 -0800

John I guess this is the maximum limit that you set when creating database, and expected to set little high than your expected total number of files in database. So to avoid to approach this limit sometimes what is desirable is to extend the size of your current datafiles with ...

          Alter tablespace datafile <name_of_file> resize <new_size>;

instead of adding new files in tablespace. Of course in certain condition where you can't do this than...

or if you can't do this there is another way to increase this limit. But you have to be extra cosious while doing this. The trick is to recreate the control file with higher limit of this parameter. But make sure you have an up-to-date (& of course! ) recoverable
backup.

Use Create Controlfile... command for this.