Re: Oracle, ODBC & Query Timeout?

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 04:01:43 GMT

The Oracle ODBC driver does support the SQL_ATTR_QUERY_TIMEOUT statement/connection attribute. But it does appear that it is not totally abiding by the minimum timeout rules, as specifed in the ODBC spec for SQL_ATTR_QUERY_TIMEOUT:

"(ODBC 1.0) An SQLUINTEGER value corresponding to the number of seconds to wait for an SQL statement to execute before returning to the application. If ValuePtr is equal to 0 (default), then there is no time out.If the specified timeout exceeds the maximum timeout in the data source or is smaller than the minimum timeout, SQLSetStmtAttr substitutes that value and returns SQLSTATE 01S02 (Option value changed)."

Even if you could set this to a negative number, I would use the database itself to prohibit a user from executing queries, not relying upon the ODBC driver to enforce this.

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999 10:54:16 -0700, Kokan <kokan_at_twcny.rr.com> wrote:

>Environment:
>MS Windows NT 4.0 SP3
>Oracle 08.05.0000 and corresponding Oracle ODBC driver
>ODBC Test 03.00.2301
>After connecting to DB when I try to set Statement attribute
>SQL_ATTR_QUERY_TIMEOUT to -1 driver is happy.
>I can see that driver gets me that attribute back when I inquire
>for it. However, I can still run queries against the Database.
>Is this a feature of Oracle DB itself or driver doesn't support
>this parameter? I couldn't find explanation of how this work
>within the Oracle environment.

>TIA
>Kokan

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Service Industries

Columbus, OH
jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Fri Feb 12 1999 - 22:01:43 CST