Re: Connection pooling

From: Peter Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 17:06:50 -0800

Dee

My apologies for the delay in responding, I couldn't find the posting again for a while.

Firstly, I thought the 64K limit was on 32 bit systems, and it was largely removed on 64 bit systems. I could be wrong, though. Regardless, connection pooling is aimed at getting more users through the physical hardware level than the hardware level can handle. We have clients that are pushing the 50K mark with concurrent connections, and to enable Oracle to run on these really high user requirements, we need to get around the physical limitation.

The way connection pooling works is that if more users than ports connect, users that are currently in think mode will be physically disconnected, while logically remaining connected. In other words, their "state" is remembered. Connection pooling and Connection Manager are mutually exclusive, as they solve different problems. Connection Manager is a way of multiplexing connections. To take the load off the db server, Connection Manager does normally run as a middle tier.

How all of this maps back to your original problem I'm not really sure. What exactly makes it necessary for your users to remain connected?

HTH. Pete