Re: crossplatform database export/import

From: Neil May <amay_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 06:37:28 GMT

Hi,

Rüdiger J. Schulz wrote:

> try to use the distributed datbase option from oracle.

I disagree. I get the impression you want infrequent updates and using distributed database will just give you a big management headache.

You could use export and import with the unrecoverable option. This is only viable if you are doing full refreshes at the table level. Otherwise some form of replication would be the choice. You can export the data through unix compress, then uncompress it straight into a pipe to import at the other end. This will compress your 5 gig to 1 gig for transmission.

More than 1 way to skin a cat...
Andrew.