Re: Library cache latch contention and SPIN_COUNT

From: Kevin Brand <kevin.brandx_at_tel.gte.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 13:43:41 -0600

Doesn't sound like spin_count is the problem.

If you have a large shared_pool, the shared pool freelist can become fragmented to an extent that each parse call that generates a cache miss can obtain and hold the shared_pool latch for a very long time while it traverses the list looking for a free chunk of memory.

When you flush, you are truncating the list ( defragmenting it ), which allows user processes to traverse the freelist at normal speeds, fast, thus increasing overall Parse performance.

The real problem is too much literal ( non-sharable ) SQL statements. When you notice lots of latch waits, execute the following query several times. Each execution ( with the exception of the first ) will show you what statements are going in to the shared_pool and how many SQL shared_pool objects are being taken out to accommodate the new SQL statement:

select * from x$ksmlru ;
set echo off;

Possible solutions: any one will help, but all together is best:

    o reduce the size of the shared_pool     o use host variables in your applications, or     o otherwise use sharable SQL
    o pin all large procedures, triggers, and packages in shared_pool

If you can't fix the application, you may find that a flush at regular intervals is the only solution.

-Kevin
--

remove the x for an email reply