Advice/Consultant wanted

From: Dean Skogman <dskogman_at_hdc.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 14:31:57 -0600

I am a beginning Oracle DBA, working with Oracle 8 (possibly Enterprise) on NT 4.0. We are developing a internet application which we plan to move into production in late spring. I've got the schema design done (as we know it at this point), a development server and database up and running, and about half the store procs written (not too well, I'm sure). It's a small database with about 20some tables with about half of them being simple lookup tables.

Our application will be low traffic at first. We’re looking at 1000s of transactions per day at first, with reporting at off-peak hours. Eventually these numbers would (hopefully) go up to 10,000s to 100,000s per day, so scalability and tuning will be an issue, but not a huge one at first.

I'm experienced with SQL and schema design, but lacking in the areas of database setup, tuning, backups/restores, parallel processing and replication. I am looking for a consultant to set up our production database/server. Any advice on consulting firms?

How long should this take?

I need some up front advice on the hardware requirements as well, so we could have this in house before we would bring in the consultant. Any advice on resources (people or places) for this?

If more details are needed let me know.

Please respond by email.

Thanks in advance,
Dean Skogman
TransCent, Inc.
dskogman_at_transcent.com Received on Wed Feb 10 1999 - 14:31:57 CST