Re: Can I RAS into Personal Oracle?

From: <black_orpheus_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 20:06:06 GMT

In article <79p4ht$f0i$1_at_newnews.global.net.uk>,   "Lee Farrant" <Lee_at_PrideIT.com> wrote:
> Is there any restriction on Personal Oracle about
> dialing into a database through RAS/ODBC or
> is it just the licenses which differ from other
> Oracles eg workgroups?
>
> I colleague of mine tells me you cannot use
> Personal Oracle over the network, I am thinking
> that cannot be right!!!!
>
> Thanks
> Lee

The issue with Personal Oracle is that you cannot have multiple SQL*Net connections to the database. After the first SQL*Net connect the next one gets some wierd Oracle error. Oracle did this to prevent the database from being used by multiple users on a network. PO has just enough functionality to let you do limited development and get you interested in purchasing the full blown product.

Let me know by mail if you like to have the instructions on getting PO connected over SQL*Net.

-b