Re: Size of NUMBER field

From: Mike Burden <michael.burden_at_capgemini.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 09:17:06 +0000

Oracle uses variable length numbers so they will take up as much space as they need.

Only specify the length for logical reasons. i.e. Only specify lengths where there is a specific business need to enforce a field size. Usually this is not the case. From a programming point of view any restriction can lead to a potential problem because it is only a matter of time before the restriction needs to be relieved.

Beware of setting your own limits thinking they a business limits. For instance, common sense may lead you to set a maximum size for a house number of 4 digits. But why, does it matter if you set no limit. This type of validation is usually done at the front end before it gets to the database anyway.

Constraints are a better way to limit size.