changing the Characterset parameter on import.

From: Manmohan Mann <m.s.mann_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 10 Feb 1999 04:16:11 GMT

Hi,

I have a database that was built using the characterset WE8EBCDIC37C (on CP/CMS IBM mainframe, ORACLE 7.1.6).

I managed to successfully export it and am trying to import onto a windows NT machine (ORACLE 7.3.4). Oracle 7.3.4 does not seem to support this particular characterset (at least on a NT box). On the NT box, I am using the default characterset WE8ISO8859P1.

I seem to be running into two seperate problems when I try to perform the import:

First, if I specify imp73 ..... log=...., at some point I get a GPF.

Second, if I do not specify the log parameter, the process stops after a while with a message about a object name (trigger) being invalid. The object mentioned does not exist in the source database. As a matter of fact, there a no triggers defined in the source database.

In the second case, I believe what is happening is that a character (|) is not being properly converted between the two charactersets.

My question is: Is there a way to modify the character mappings during the import process? Where does ORACLE keep the tables that perform the mappings between the different charactersets?

Does anybody have a different explanation as to what the problem might be?

Appreciate any help that can be provided.

Manmohan Received on Tue Feb 09 1999 - 22:16:11 CST