Using triggers to populate history tables in Oracle 8, should I?

From: Dean Jefferson <jeffedw_at_dhfs.state.wi.us>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 09:34:26 -0600

I'm an Oracle (formerly Digital) Rdb DBA new to Oracle 8. In Rdb I routinely used triggers to insert history records when records in the primary table were updated or deleted. A fellow DBA with some Oracle experience tells me I should not use triggers that way in Oracle 7/8 because if the database fails and has to be recovered, the "trigger written" records will not be written by the recovery process.

Will an experienced Oracle DBA give me the straight dope on this? If true it sounds like a severe limitation to me.

Dean Jefferson Received on Tue Feb 09 1999 - 09:34:26 CST