Re: HELP: MAXDATAFILES exceeded

From: Christopher M. Day <christopher.day_at_rdbms.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 09:24:56 +0000

John,

MAXDATAFILES is set at database creation time and the parameter is read from you initSID.ora file. The value is written to your control files, which are binary format.

To change it you need to generate the sql to recreate your control files using 'ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE', then edit the trace file in your dump directory and increase MAXDATAFILES to your required value. I would check the Oracle documentation for the rest of the procedure, but you should get the idea from the trace file :)

Chris.