newbie: SQL join/union question

From: Mark Foley <foleym_at_meftechno.com>
Date: 08 Feb 1999 16:38:46 PST

I have two tables NAME1 and NAME2, with 3 and 2 columns respectively, as follows:

                NAME1

----------
SEQID NAME INFO --------- --------- -------- 1 Mark Possible criminal 2 Jim Possible criminal 3 Bill Confirmed criminal NAME2
-----------
SEQID NAME --------- --------- 4 Jon 5 Jack 6 Ryan

 I need a select statement that returns a single Table as follows:

              RESULT TABLE
              -----------------------

 SEQID        NAME       INFO
  ---------        ---------       --------
  1                 Mark       Possible criminal
  2                 Jim         Possible criminal
  3                 Bill         Confirmed criminal
  4                Jon          *
  5                Jack        *
  6                Ryan       *

 If I use:
SELECT seqid from NAME1
UNION
SELECT seqid from NAME2;

I get the 6 returned rows, which is what I want. I cannot however figure out how
to include the "INFO" column in the result set, because that column doesn't exist in
the NAME2 table. The "*" could be anything that allows me to determine that that
result column was empty. Received on Mon Feb 08 1999 - 18:38:46 CST