Re: partitioned? distributed? parallel? replicated?

From: Brant Cooper <bcooper_at_tumbleweed.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 12:51:39 -0800

> It depends on what exactly you have in mind. If you want to run several
> "dedicated applications" as oppose to a single "all-purpose application",
> each of the "dedicated" ones will need to know what schema to use and
> what TNS alias to use to connect to what instance.
>
> Another question of course is why. What is the business or technical
> requirements behind the decision to partition the data and/or
> application? Are the complexities and costs the that goes with Oracle
> Parallel Server and the associated justified? If it is for example a
> performance issue, can this not be better solved by a hardware upgrade or
> using a better and more scalable hardware platform? Maybe the application
> can no longer handle the volume and it is the bottleneck. A change in the
> database server architecture may thus only be a temporary fix as the
> application design/architecture needs changing.

Thanks for your comments. The answer to why is scalability. Leaving aside redundancy and fail-over, what my customers want is the ability to add hardware to existing systems over time. Today they have a few thousand users with minimal transactions. In the near future transactions may become hundreds of thousands per day. The application of which I speak runs on very scalable systems, but isn't quite up to par on its own scalability. Hopefully this is addressed in near future releases, but meanwhile, I am looking for solutions to scale the systems upon which we run. I don't want to *upgrade* hardware, but to *add* hardware. The solutions above seem to require that all designing and planning for future requirements be done up front. My customers would rather start with an E450 and add another one if necessary, than start with an E4500. Are the complexities and costs justified. You betcha! Received on Mon Feb 08 1999 - 14:51:39 CST