Re: How do I set up Multithread server on VMS?

From: Graham Thornton <graham.thornton_at_ln.ssw.abbott.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 14:04:42 -0600

Malcolm Dunnett wrote:

> I'm currently running Oracle 7.3.2.3.2 on VMS 7.1 Alpha. We're using
> all dedicated server processes at the moment, but it seems that using
> the Multi-Threaded server would be more efficient. I've read the
> Administrator's Guide section about the MTS_* parameters that need to
> be added to init.ora, but I'm unclear what ( if anything ) needs to
> be changed in the listener setup. Can I just leave the listener the
> way it is and point MTS_LISTENER_ADDRESS to the standard listener
> port, or do I need to make some listener changes and use a different
> port? Does anything change in the SID_LIST in listener.ora? We're not
> using DECNET listeners, only TCP/IP.
>
> Suggestions or sample config files from a working MTS setup on VMS
> would be appreciated.

Malcolm,

We setup the MTS on our Oracle 7.3.3.6 database on OpenVMS 7.1 back in December.

I only needed to add the MTS parameters to the INIT.ORA file. No changes to LISTENER.ORA were necessary. Here is the entry from our INIT.ORA file:

#define multi-threaded server - GCT 21-DEC-98

mts_dispatchers = "tcp,4"
mts_max_dispatchers=20
mts_servers=4
mts_max_servers=20
mts_service=TRNDB1
mts_listener_address="(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(host=LISA)(port=1521))"

and here is the LISTERNER.ORA file:

LISTENER =(description =

             (address_list =
              (address =
                (protocol = IPC)
                (key = TRNDB1))
              (address =
                (protocol = TCP)
                (port = 1521)
                (host = LISA))
              )
           )

sid_list_LISTENER =
        (sid_list=
            (sid_desc=
                (sid_name=TRNDB1)
                (TIMEOUT = 10)
                (PRESPAWN_MAX = 20)
                (PRESPAWN_DESC=
                        (PROTOCOL = TCP)
                        (POOL_SIZE = 2)
                        (TIMEOUT = 10))
#               (QUEUESIZE=20)

(PROGRAM='DUA2:[oracle7336.network.admin]startup_trndb1.com'))
        )

CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER = 10
STARTUP_WAIT_TIME_LISTENER = 0

TRACE_LEVEL=OFF
TRACE_FILE=LISTENR.TRC
TRACE_DIRECTORY_SERVER=DUA2:[ORACLE7336.NETWORK.TRACE]

The MTS has been running without a problem on our development box since Dec. We
are currently planning when to migrate these changes over to the production machine.

You can check the state of the MTS by queryting the following views:

V$CIRCUIT
V$SHARED_SERVER
V$DISPATCHER
V$MTS
V$QUEUE
V$SESSION

Just remember that when using the MTS on VMS, you need to start the LISTENER first,
then start the database.

Good luck

Graham. Received on Mon Feb 08 1999 - 14:04:42 CST