Oracle Remote Links/Replication across a WAN

From: Linda Harte <Linda.Harte_at_peregrine.ie>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 17:46:07 -0000

Hi folks,
Our client-server application has to date accessed an Oracle database across a LAN and so far no performance issues. One of our customers is now accessing the database across a WAN (SMDM 2MB) and we're having some performance issues.

I'm investiagting the use of Oracle remote links and I would appreciate if anyone out there has any info regarding these.

Our app uses standard SQL calls to retrieve data from the database and to update the database tables - i.e. SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE etc. We do not used stored procedures. I have seen some evidence that using SP's would improve the performance but it would mean en extensive re-write of our software and is therefore not a viable option.

One proposal that we will be making is to create a second Oracle database which will contain remote links to the 'original' database and for the user to access this database across their LAN.

Can anybody tell me if using remote links will retrieve the data faster that an SQL call?

Is the data retrieved every time I access the link - or only if data has changed?

Thanks Received on Mon Feb 08 1999 - 11:46:07 CST