Writing to BLOB & CLOB with 1 VARIABLE

From: <chandrasekar_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 09:46:39 GMT

Hi all,

          Let me narrate my problem :
 I have a table with 3 columns

     TABLE NAME : SAMPLE ID NUMBER(5) TEXT CLOB PIC BLOB I should write a procedure which accepts the column name and the data for that column corresponding to the id .
My procedure is write_LOB(colname in varchar2,data in long raw) and I am writing the data accepted in the long raw variable through the dbms_lob package .

  This works perfectly with BLOBs but for CLOBs only hexadecimal values are stored . What type of variable should I use in order to read & write to both BLOBs and CLOBs .

Is there a solution for this generalised procedure or Do i have a write a seperate procedure for writing to blobs and writing to clobs . Your valuable inputs are greatly appreciated .

Thankx in advance
cheers
chandrasekar