Control files : number and location ?

From: Matthieu KREMBEL <m.krembel_at_ch-rouffach.fr>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 15:07:01 +0100

Hi,

I read that Oracle strongly recommends that a database has a minimum of 2 control files on different disks.

My 7.3.3 Oracle server runs on a Windows NT 4.0 server. The server has only 2 disks :
C: where there is the Windows NT system directory. D: where there is the Orant directory.

Presently, my both control files are in the "D:\Orant\Database" directory.

According to your opinions, which is the safest strategy ?

  1. To do nothing and to keep the current setup ?
  2. To move one of the control file to the C: disk: ( system HD) ?
  3. To add a new control file to the C: disk ( in this case, the database will have 3 control files )

Thanks for your hints,

Matthieu Krembel
E-Mail : m.krembel_at_ch-rouffach.fr Received on Mon Feb 08 1999 - 08:07:01 CST