Re: Optimal db_block_size

From: Matthias Gresz <GreMa_at_t-online.de>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 08:23:03 +0100

Peter Laursen schrieb:

> Whats is the optimal db_block_size on NT4.0 running Oracle 8.04?
>
> Ive been told never change the default 2k size, however now I hear 8k is
> better? Anyone?

It's not easy to answer.
It depends on several issues:

If you're using RAID 5 take the slize size as block size. If not you should analyze your tables and size block size the way that the largest record size will fit into one single block. You should not look at LONGs and BLOBs during this calculation.

Also take a look at the db_file_multiblock_read_count parameter:

Set
db_file_multiblock_read_count = x

so that x*block size + 512 = 64 K or the nearest value you can get.

64 K is the largest physical read size of NT.

(f.e. block size = 8 => db_file_multiblock_read_count=7)

HTH
Matthias
--
Matthias.Gresz_at_Privat.Post.DE

Es gibt nichts Neues mehr.
Alles, was man erfinden kann, ist schon erfunden worden. Charles H. Duell, Leiter des US Patentamtes bei seinem Rücktritt 1899 Received on Mon Feb 08 1999 - 01:23:03 CST