Re: FLUSHING SELECTED data FROM MEMORY

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 09:29:31 -0000

The method I usually use is to create a dummy table larger than the db_block_buffers, with an index, then run a select statement to read in every block of the table through the index.

set pctfree = 99 and you only need one row per block (in most cases), create table as select obj#, rpad(name,255) from sys.obj$; create index on obj# etc.select /*+ index */ max(name) from table where obj# >0

To check that you are flushed, look at x$bh (if you have sys rights) for dbafil = file number (in v7 - there is a different column used in v8) of critiical table, dbablk for block ids of critical table.

If you put the dummy table in its own file, then the easiest check is that dbafil,count(*) show a few blocks from file 1, and the rest from the dummy table's file.

Jonathan Lewis