Re: SNP Processes

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 00:42:05 GMT

A copy of this was sent to jcsloan_at_my-dejanews.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Sat, 06 Feb 1999 23:26:37 GMT, you wrote:

>When setiing the JOB_QUEUE_PROCESSES initialization parameter to a value
>otehr than 0, the SNP processes always start under the oracle UNIX user and
>the TNS_ADMIN environment variable is always set to the default
>$ORACLE_HOME/network/admin.We have jobs that require the services of
>EXTPROC and a job is supposed to inherit the enviroment of the user that
>submitted the job.

they inherit the DATABASE environment (nls settings, date formats, etc) but never a 'unix' environment -- there is nothing to say that the user submitting a job is even on the same type of OS as the database is... What would happen if the submitting the job was on NT and the database on Unix? You definitely wouldn't want an NT environment on Unix.

>But our listeners don't run under the oracle UNIX user
>and the TNS_ADMIN enviroment variable is set to a non-default value (this is
>recommended by Oracle).

thats fine, the TNS_ADMIN will be used by the listener to find its listener.ora and other configuation files.

>We need in particular to make known to the SNP
>process processing our job the correct value for the TNS_ADMIN environment
>variable so that our EXTPROC listener can servicerequests when running as a
>job under a SNP process.

they do have the 'right' TNS_ADMIN -- their own $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin. All you need to do is add extproc_connection_data service to the tnsnames.ora file.

>Questions:Can the SNP processes run under a UNIX
>user other than oracle?

No.

>Can the SNP processes be passed any envoronment
>variables upon statup?

No. (and they shouldn't need them)

>Can any environment variables be passed to the
>dbms_job package and thenon to the SNP process?

No but they should *not* need them. the SNP processes will find the extprocs via their tnsnames file. They do not need to see the listener.ora file at all. You just need to add to their tnsnames.ora file the entry to find the listener that should spawn the extproc service.

>Thanks.JC Sloan

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Sat Feb 06 1999 - 18:42:05 CST