controlling order of indexes used

From: <bdg_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 18:42:28 GMT

Hello,

Is it possible to control the order of indexes used?

I have a couple of very similar queries. The only difference is that one contains a where condition of "column=value" and the other contains a condition of "column in (value1,value2)". The first version returns very quickly (~1 second) and the other takes ~9 minutes. Originally, the explain

plan indicated that different indexes were being used.	I've added hints to
the second query to force the use of the same indexes.	This made the second
query return in ~52 seconds. Now it looks like the explain plan is using the queries in a different order.

Any pointers or references to documentation appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian Gastineau