Re: Developing an Oracle App - Does the Server OS matter

From: Eric Junkermann <eric_at_deptj.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 17:35:52 GMT

On 26 Jan 1999 14:08:37 GMT, "Michael Smith" <msmith_at_kepner-tregoe.com> wrote:

>We are having a company develop an enterprise application for us that will
>use Oracle8 as the back-end database. There's been some question as to what
>server/os they should use for their development. Here are the stats:

<snip>

All Oracle Servers (at the same version) are logically equivalent, but have you analysed the risks in forcing them to accept the Intel box:

  1. It may not be powerful enough - my own development and DBA experience leads me to suspect that it isn't.
  2. The developers will not be able to promise any specified performance on the target platform without doing their own tests on the target. You may end up bouncing the application between developers and testers for weeks. (Performance can not be calculated!)
  3. If there are going to be NT services, there is a significant risk that faults will emerge when they are rebuilt for Alpha even if they work properly on Intel.

Regards,

Eric Received on Sat Feb 06 1999 - 11:35:52 CST