Re: sqlldr on unix - any idea how to implement security?

From: Malcolm Dunnett <dunnett_at_mala.bc.ca>
Date: 5 Feb 99 11:49:25 -0700

In article <79fe6r$81i$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>,   kerbiquet_at_hotmail.com writes:

> We are using Oracle 8.0.4 on unix system and loading data into tables using
> SQL*Loader.
> The loading process should be run by cron [no way to enter passwd manually]
> For security purpose :
> we do not want anybody get user password doing a ps when sqlldr is running [no
> "sqlldr user/pwd file=.."].
> we do not want user password clearly written in files.

   I've not use Oracle 8 on Unix, but couldn't you add a user who was identified externally ( ie by the Unix OS ), give that user the rights to load your tables and then submit the cron job under that username (using just / instead of user/pwd in the sqlldr command)

--

Malcolm Dunnett    Malaspina University-College     Email: dunnett_at_mala.bc.ca
Computer Services  Nanaimo, B.C. CANADA V9R 5S5       Tel: (250)755-8738

        "OpenVMS is today what Microsoft wants Windows NT v8.0 to be!"
           posted on www.openvms.digital.com on or about Sep 22,1998
                           Quashed on Sep 23,1998