Application Server Design Suggestions

From: <nxtwave_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 16:53:47 GMT

Hi

I am currently trying to compile a list of issues/considerations you should keep in mind when you are designing a Middleware Architecture around an Application Server (CORBA, JCORBA, EJB etc).

Here is a summary of the list I have so far:

Extract:-

      Considerations

           Expose Coarse Grained Components
           Minimise memory usage on Server, Object Footprint
           Minimise Transaction Length
           Minimise Message Size
           Dealing with Object to Relational Database conflicts
           Centralised server, decentralised (small server at each branch)
           Maximise use of N/W bandwidth
           Minimise N/W roundtrips per transaction

  Goals Robust and Flexible, Component Based Architecture Simple Consistent Interface Provide Object Oriented Messaging Support a Large Number of Connected Users Provide high transaction rates e.g. 50per/sec and higher Provide Middleware Wrapper Generation (Using Application Servers, TP

The full text is available here:
  http://www.nxt-wave.com/techtalk/art0101.html

Any comments or suggestions let me know.

Regards,

Greg Montgomery
greg_at_nxt-wave.com
http://www.nxt-wave.com/techtalk/