External identification in Oracle through SQL*net

From: <cvin_at_novo.dk>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 14:38:41 GMT

The setup is as follows:

     OS: OpenVMS 7.1 (remote_os_authent = FALSE, os_authent_prefix = '')
   DBMS: Oracle 8.0.3
SQL*net: Net8

The users have been set up to be identified externally. I.e. they can login to OpenVMS using their os_userid and os_password and thereafter they can login to Oracle by issuing for example 'sqlplus /'. This works fine. If the user on the other hand wants to access Oracle directly through Net8 this is not possible. Do you know of any workarounds? (I don't want to set remote_os_authent = TRUE)

Is there some way I can set up SQL*net to authenticate users using the authentication system provided by the operating system hosting it (e.g. OpenVMS) and thereafter do ops$login?

Kind regards,
Christian Vind
Novo Nordisk A/S