Re: TableSpace Storage Parameters?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 17:10:36 -0000

This is NOT a sensible thing to do.
It would be far better to adopt a sensible storage strategy that made is unnecessary for SMON to do any coalescing of free space.

i.e.

    all objects in a tablespace to use the default storage     default storage to be ' initial = next, pctincrease = 0'.

Although there are some (version dependant) details that have to be addressed with Parallel CTAS and multiple free list groups this policy ensures that any dropped object leaves behind holes which are exactly the right size for the next object you want to create, so space management ceases to be a problem.

See also my document on smon

Jonathan Lewis