Re: Dropping Tables - Slow Performance

From: Rodgers, Tony (CEI-Atlanta) <Tony.Rodgers_at_cox.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 13:07:26 -0500

I've gone through the same thing trying to find out what happens in a DROP that (with a large table) makes it take longer than a TRUNCATE+DROP. I heard somewhere (like you) that the DROP actually invokes a DELETE first, before dropping the table. I don't know if that's true, but at least in Oracle 7.3 in a data warehouse I saw DROPS take a LONG time to complete on large tables. That's why we started doing TRUNCATES before DROPS. Perhaps with Oracle8 this is not a problem any more.