MTS questions...

From: Kevin P. Fleming <kfleming_at_access-laserpress.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 22:19:09 GMT

I'm thinking of converting our existing 8.0.4 on Windows NT instance over to using MTS instead of dedicated processes, primarily for one reason: I run programs that do large sorts rather frequently, and I'd like to allow those processes to use a large amount of RAM for the sort instead of being forced to go to disk. However, if I set SORT_AREA_SIZE to a large value in a dedicated process environment, each user connection takes up gobs of RAM. If I switch to MTS, the SORT_AREA will only be allocated when necessary, and then it will be released, correct? If so, that could be a big win for me.

If I do switch to MTS, I've got some questions on implementation:

  1. If I set MTS_SERVICE to something different than the instance's SID, that will make it pretty easy for a user to connect either MTS or dedicated, depending on requirements. Any problem with this?
  2. Should the MTS_DISPATCHER address information be the _same_ as the LISTENER, or should it be on a different port?