Re: THE PEPSI CHALLENGE!!! (of dB's)

From: Ross Mohan <rmohan_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 10:37:12 -0500

>12 Million Records
>30 - 50 enquiries per second (and growing)
>Here's the problem:
>To accurately spec a hardware config which will assure the kind of
performance
>required.

NetFinity platform.
Enterprise 3500 series
or similar

This is not a big deal. You don't need a monster platform! If you have $$ to spend, just get memory equivalent to 20-30% of your data size (12 million records is not a large database by any stretch) and multiple network cards/listeners for the incoming. Start with four cpus. If it's web-enabled, Apache *is* a rocket, and if you buy the IBM NetFinity with WebSphere and Apache, the latter is *free* ( as always ) and IBM will provide support for it.

similarly, the Solaris 7/Enterprise 3*** platform has your problem written all over it. See Adrian Cockcroft's excellent book on tuning for solaris and
oltp and web......

I completely agree with Jon Lewis on disk spindles and striping, but think that if you're trying to satify any more than about 10% of your requests from disk, you're hosed. The bottleneck will be connecting to, querying, and feeding off the database. I see network/listener
stuff, hence the two network cards ( at least ) and multiple listeners.

Much more could be said, but absent further info, i'll just wish you luck!

Ross Received on Wed Feb 03 1999 - 09:37:12 CST