Re: Anyway to reorganize the system tablespace?

From: Dan Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 15:10:09 -0800

> I am looking for a way to defrag the tablespace SYSTEM. Since I cannot drop
> any object inside it. So I cannot re-organize it in a conventional
> way(export data, drop the objects, create objects).

ARIS sells a product that does this though its price may be a bit prohibitive. Others possibly do as well.

In addition to the suggestion made by someone else about exporting and reimporting there is another way if you have sufficient DASD.

First create a duplicate instance with the same tablespace names and sizes. Second build a database link between the two. Third move everything across.
Fourth delete the original instance and rename the new instance.

If you are properly prepared you should be able to keep your downtime to only a few minutes.

Regards,

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Tue Feb 02 1999 - 17:10:09 CST