Re: Help getting Streaming data into Oracle

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 21:01:28 -0000

We need an idea of how much data, and what you might want to do with it, and how soon after it arrives you want to do it. e.g.

If         the volume is huge,
but     you don't mind a 15 minute lag,
and     you only keep 24 hours then try a plan like:

    Create a partition table partitioned on date/time to hold the     data - but load the latest 15 minutes into a separate     non-partitioned table, then swap the table with the top     partition and start in on a new table.

Given enough hardware I've designed two variations on this sort of theme that coped with numbers in the order of millions of rows per hour in 'near real' time.

Jonathan Lewis