Re: Net8 Problem

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 21:44:11 +0100

According to the error message either the database or the listener (most likely) doesn't run.
do you see a TNSlistener service running in the services applet of control panel on the NT server?

Basically the listener.ora on the server should have an addres block
with one address entry reading
(protocol=ipc)(key=<your database sid>) the second address entry reading
(protocol=tcp)(host=<the node name of your server>)(port=1521) and a sid_list
with the sid the listener is listening for. The tcp address should occur in the address list of tnsnames.ora the ipc address should not occur in this file. Tnsnames.ora on client and server should be the same, with one difference
automatic_ipc = OFF on the client (it should be ON on the server). On the client it doesn't work anyway, as IPC stands for interprocess communication.
Alternatively, send me your files and I will probably be able to fix it.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA