Re: Upgrading Oracle 7.1.3.2 to 7.3 on Open VMS

From: Joe Kazimierczyk <kazimiej_at_bms.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 12:36:14 -0500

I've upgraded 7.1.5 to 7.3.3.6 on a test system, but not production yet. (Alpha, not VAX.) I'm sure that you'll also have to do VMS upgrade before the oracle upgrade, so add that onto your time estimate. 2 or 3 hours is reasonable if you don't run into problems, but I always allow more time for problems.

There are some big changes in the way the SGA is implemented in 733, and the option to link single task goes away. There's also a new 'bequeath' listener to handle local connections. You may want to look into patch 635104, which fixes a security problem in the bequeath listener related to ops$ accounts.

On our test system, I accidentally (oops) installed the Advanced Network Option, and only noticed this because database links were giving the error : ORA-12666. The fix for this, besides de-installing ANO is to add this to sqlnet.ora:

    SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (BEQ) and this to listener.ora

    SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=(NONE) Also with 7.3, Sqlnet v1 goes away, and SQLDBA goes away, so you might need some minor changes if you're still using either of these. Other than that, no real problems.

Joe Kazimierczyk
kazimiej_at_bms.com