Re: How to reduce fragmentation in one TS?

From: Peter Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 09:20:17 -0800

Pierre-Yves

Yes it will probably cause fragmentation if you are adding mandatory columns, maybe not if you're adding nullable ones (depends on the amount of data going in). Yes, export/import will remove the fragmentation but NO, compress=y is not necessary. This is a common misconception. All this will do is put the entire object in one extent (a humongous one probably in your case).

HTH. Pete

--

Regards

Pete

Peter Sharman                              Email: psharman_at_us.oracle.com
WISE Course Development Manager            Phone: +1.650.607.0109 (int'l)
Worldwide Internal Services Education               (650)607 0109 (local)
San Francisco

"Controlling application developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, ORACLE DBA Handbook
"Oh no it's not! It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long term ORACLE DBA