Re: Installing runtime on the server

From: TurkBear <johng_at_nospam.mm.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 17:08:39 GMT

Assuming you have the legal right to do so ( that is, enough licenses ) :

Install on a 'clean' workstation of the type you want ( NT or 95 ) -( clean means no Oracle stuff on it ) AFTER clearing the archive bit on all the files in the WinNT/System32 ( or Windows/system for 95 ) directory. [This is your base machine]

After install copy the Orant ( or Orawin) directory structure to the server.... Create a winnt ( or windows if 95 ) directory in this structure Add a system32( or system ) subdirectory to that directory Copy all files with the archive bit set from the client winnt/system32 ( or system for 95) to the new system32 ( or system if 95 ) [ the archive bit technique is used to ID only those files installed be Oracle ]

After this you need to have your users map a drive letter to the Oracle directory you created on the server,
Create registry files in the Orant/Winnt ( or Orawin/windows ) that use the drive letter your users will map to indicate Oracle_Home

Have a search drive mapping for your users that points to the Orant/bin ( Orawin/bin) directory....
Merge the created registry file on the client Copy the Orant\Winnt\system32 files from the server to the Winnt/System32 directory or the client ( only Newer files should be copied ) ( usual change if Windows 95 )

The registry step is best handled by exporting the registry entries from the original client machine( the base machine created above), edit it to change the drive letter and copy it to the server directory.

Hope it helps,

amitabh12_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

>Hi,
> I was wondering if there is any way to install oracle developer runtime on
>the say..NT server and have the clients run it from the server rather than
>installing it on every pc..
>
>The company has about 100 users and there is a mix of wind95 and NT
>workstations. I was wondering if there is a way to install runtime on NT and
>thus all the users can use it..
>
>Thanks for the help
>Munish

To reply please remove the 'nospam' part of the address Received on Tue Feb 02 1999 - 11:08:39 CST