Re: Oracle7 vs. Oracle8 vs. Oracle8i

From: Kyung Tae Kim <ktkims_at_shinbiro.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 20:02:55 +0900

I'm now considering migrate oracle 7.34 to oracle v8.05 enterprise edition.
But oracle sales person never told me that partitioning is optional. But,
if you want to using partitioning, you should install it addtionally. Tomorrow,
I'll ask to oracle sales man and confirm it. If I'm wrong I'll tell you
about it again.

James Dickson wrote:

Jeff Kalchik wrote:

> I've recently joined a group that's running a 7.3.4 database engine
> (~400 connection), and is considering 8.0.5.  The partitioning has
> some serious potential to help out performance.  The DBA has been told
> that the OPTION for partitioning is extra, and not included with the
> basic engine.  He was quoted around $500,000!
>
> I'm new to Oracle, and not familiar with all of the licensing,
> versions, etc. yet.  But this sounds a little off-base.
> Jeff Kalchik
> Views expressed are my own, not my employers.

Try to negotiate a 30 day trial license with Oracle
to see if the partitioning option is worth the cost
to your business before you buy it.

James
--
james@valhall.esrin.esa.it.NOSPAM