Re: optimal rollback segment?

From: Connor McDonald <mcdonald.connor.cs_at_bhp.com.au>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 17:52:19 +0800

ewong74_at_netscape.net wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am trying to tune up my rollback segments. I want to set the optimal high
> enough to avoid dynamic extensions. I also want to create large-enough
> extents to support most of the transactions without wrapping. My question
> is: How can I know how much rollback space will need for a particular
> transaction? Is there any way to monitor it?
>
> Thanx in advance.
>
> Ed

One kludgy way is to create a rollback seg with small extents and run just your txn inside it and see what size it grows to...

In practice, do you really need to know this on a transaction level basis...Why not just regularly monitor your rollback activity and add/remove segs or increase/reduce segs until happy with the results...

check out:

v$rollname
v$rollstat
v$waitstat

HTH --

Connor McDonald
BHP Information Technology
Perth, Western Australia
"Never wrestle a pig - you both get dirty and the pig likes it..." Received on Tue Feb 02 1999 - 03:52:19 CST