Re: How to save disk space in Oracle 7 database?

From: James Dickson <James.Dickson_at_mail.esrin.esa.it>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 10:42:09 +0100

Calamba Lee wrote:

> Hi All!
>
> I am a novice Oracle DBA and would greatly appreciate your help:
>
> We have a DataWarehouse type Oracle 7 database (read only) which we
> load with data (append) monthly on the Unix box.
>
> It turns out that we do not have enough physical disk space for the
> next load of data.
>
> Other then adding more disks what options do I have to utilize
> existing disk space more efficiently? Can I tweak tablespace specs?
> How? Is there a sort of defrag or compress utilities for Oracle/Unix
> environment?

In the longer term you might want to look into upgrading to Oracle v8, then partition your tables by month.

While you still run Oracle v7 you will eventually be forced to export the oldest data to a tape in order to make space for incoming new data.

James
--
james_at_valhall.esrin.esa.it.NOSPAM Received on Tue Feb 02 1999 - 03:42:09 CST