Re: Notify when commiting

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 10:40:18 +0200

Markus Kopp wrote in message <36AD8472.7D42F88_at_isg.de>...
>I wanna write a program that will be notifyed, each time a commit
>occurs,
>how can I do that (something like a trigger or so)

Obvious question is why. Oracle does not support event notification like for example Interbase. And even if did, the overheads on commit notifications can kill the performance of Oracle.

There's basically two ways this can be done in Oracle. First method is to have the update and insert triggers creating an entry in another table and then having your app polling and deleting that table. Second method is to use a DBMS pipe where your app will be listening on the pipe and the triggers sending notifications down the pipe. This is however more complex.

But to be honest, I really fail to see a real requirement for commit notification in Oracle. And if there is a real business requirement for it..., well then I doubt that Oracle is the database to use. Oracle will be the first to admit that it is not a realtime database system (read the disclaimers in any Oracle manual). For that you need to a realtime operating system and very sophisticated software.

My 2'c cents.

regards,
Billy Received on Tue Feb 02 1999 - 02:40:18 CST