Re: Oracle on Linux

From: Alexander Goller <alex_at_vivien.franken.de>
Date: 2 Feb 1999 04:16:04 GMT

hi,

On Mon, 01 Feb 1999 20:17:51 GMT, V_Youmans_at_msn.com <V_Youmans_at_msn.com> wrote:
>I am trying to get an oracle Db system up on RH Linux my self, and rumor has
>it that you are doing the same. Perhaps you could give me a couple of
>hints... The server that I want to set up will be one of two formats
>
>Format 1...
>A dedicated Oracle server, connected to a dedicated WEB server running
>JServer/Apache or JRun/Appache.

Sure is ok for small loads and servers not needing to serve one request / sec.
>Format 2... A combination Oracle server / Appache Server with JRun or Jserver.

Is nice if you have really high loads, but anyway, generalization sucks, it depends much on the kind of hardware you use too of course. I suggest you start with Figure, pardon, Format 1.

>1... If I start from scratch, What are good Hard Drive Partition
>configurations for the oracle Server. It will only have one HD.

Oracle suggests to have 3 partitions for the control files of the oracle system, there also is some suggestion from Oracle about how the layout of a oracle installation should be, maybe the real pros know more. Iirc there are suggestions for the layout in the Oracle for Lignux installation documents.

>2... Are you using Java Servlets? If so, whcih engin are you using and which
>development tools?

Yes, we do. We use mod_jserv in version 0.9 and 1.0b2 on Apache 1.3.4. Development Tools are mainly vi, vi and /usr/bin/vi.

>3... What were the sticky parts for doing the install?

Works quite nice, but i don't know your background.

bye, alex
--
.signature: file not found Received on Mon Feb 01 1999 - 22:16:04 CST