Re: best system for Oracle 8

From: Dan Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 17:18:28 -0800

> I am wondering what people thing is the best platform/configuration
> for an Oracle 8 database. It will need to be fairly large. The one
> we use now is a sparc ultra2 with dual 300mhz processors and a gig of
> ram. We have this attached to a raid type system with 40 Gigs of
> drive space. I have been told by people that its not best to use
> raid, though. I am thinking that it will need to be able to scale up
> to around a terabyte and be able to support around 300-400 users
> through a web-based interface using ModPerl/C. We will use a separate
> machine to drive the web-servers and such.

Your question is lacking a substantial amount of information necessary for anyone to give you an intelligent answer. Here's what is missing.

  1. How many users
  2. How many transactions per time period
  3. OLTP or Datamart or both
  4. How many instances, schemas, tables, indexes, triggers, etc.
  5. How much code stored in the database and efficient is your caching
  6. What is your front-end
  7. What is your budget (your CFO will love this one)

Personally I have easily run 300-400 users on hardware similar to yours without a problem. But what people are doing and how the application(s) are constructed can make a huge difference. And the only way you could possibly need a terabyte of RAM is if you plan to become a reseller.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Mon Feb 01 1999 - 19:18:28 CST