Transaction Handling

From: <avilner_at_usa.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 22:54:08 GMT

Dear Oraclers:

I have, what seems to be an easy-to-solve issue with transaction handling, but I am not sure how to do it with Oracle (Sybase and others hanle this quite well).

A process is running on the user workstation (Windows 95/98), connected to the Oracle 7.3 database. This process has a bunch of DML statements. In the middle of this process, a stored procedure is called that inserts/deletes records from a table. I want the procedure to commit the changes to the table it made, without committing changes the rest of the process is in the process of making.

In essence, it should be something like: BEGIN TRANSACTION <outside process>
 INSERT INTO X;
 DELETE FROM Y;
 UPDATE Z;  CALL SP:
    BEGIN TRANSACTION SP;

       INSERT INTO A;
       DELETE FROM A;
    COMMIT SP;        --- And nothing else

 .. More DMLs for the outside process... COMMIT/ROLLABACK <outside process>

How can something like this be implemented with Oracle? Thank you in advance!

Alex Vilner