Re: Question regarding replication

From: Peter Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 12:19:53 -0800

Hannah

Whether the replication will work from a performance perspective is really a suck it and see scenario in my experience. My gut feeling with the data volumes you're talking about are to run it more often than once a day. Yes, you would be better off with Oracle8 from a performance perspective. Throughputs under Oracle7 max'ed at about 10-15 tps, with Oracle8 you can get 20-100 tps (this is very dependent on your application, so don't take these figures as gospel).

The other thing to be careful of in an OPS environment is that the replication doesn't cause too much pinging.

HTH Pete

--

Regards

Pete

Peter Sharman                              Email: psharman_at_us.oracle.com
WISE Course Development Manager            Phone: +1.650.607.0109 (int'l)
Worldwide Internal Services Education               (650)607 0109 (local)
San Francisco

"Controlling application developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, ORACLE DBA Handbook
"Oh no it's not! It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long term ORACLE DBA