Re: ORA-1653: Unable to extend table - causes corruption ?

From: Alan Black <alan_at_opcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 18:48:48 +0000

Satar,

NT can indeed have files greater that 2GB - I believe there may be a Unix limitation of 2GB (or was in the distant past).

Spoke to Oracle today who confirmed that there is a bug in 8.0.5 with files that auto-extend beyond 4GB.

The solution is to limit them to < 4GB.

Alan.

In article <794k1p$3h1$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>, Satar <satar_at_my- dejanews.com> writes
>Alan,
>Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think NT can have datafiles greater than
>2GB.
>
>Regards,
>Satar
>Oracle DBA/UNIX System Admin
>"Opinions are the result of the voices in my head only,
>and do not reflect my employer or Oracle Corporation."
>

>In article <NnwDzBAyAss2EwCT_at_opcomp.demon.co.uk>,
> Alan Black <alan_at_opcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> Oracle 8.0.5
>> Windows NT 4
>>
>> I've just received the message ORA-1653 (unable to extend table) while
>> SQL*Loading 7m records into a table.
>>
>> This caused some other side effects such as Oracle reporting some
>> objects as missing.
>>
>> The problem is that on restarting the database after a shutdown, I'm
>> getting ORA-01122 (database file failed verification check) and ORA-
>> 01200 (actual file size is different). These are reported against the
>> data file of the tablespace that I was loading into.
>>
>> I can now only restore from backup.
>>
>> I can live with the first error (although I don't think that there was
>> any reason for it being unable to extend (plenty of free space and the
>> data file/tablespace was setup for auto-extending), but It's concerning
>> that this has corrupted a data file.
>>
>> I've heard that there may be a problem with Oracle 8.0.5/NT with 4GB
>> files and mine had just auto-extended to 4GB.
>>
>> Anyone any ideas ?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Alan.
>> --
>> Alan Black

Alan Black Received on Mon Feb 01 1999 - 12:48:48 CST