Re: Maxextents = 2 billion?

From: Terry Ball <terry_ball_at_csgsystems.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 11:30:10 -0600

The maxextents is not platform dependent. It is either release dependent or block size dependent. If you have Oracle 7.3 or above, it is possible to have the unlimited maxextents value you are seeing. With release 7.2 and prior releases, if you had a block size of 2K your maxextents was 121; 4K maxextents is 249; and so on.

I am not sure what would have caused a crash while trying to rebuild an index which had had a maxextents of unlimited. It could be as Jonathan suggested. Or it could just be that there were so many extents to rebuild that Oracle just threw up.

Terry Ball
Sr. DBA, CSG Systems