Re: error accessing package dbms_application_info

From: <james_at_valhall.esrin.esa.it>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 10:29:26 GMT

In article <NbVm2.1633$V_.7150_at_news.cwix.com>,   "Eddie Johnson Jr." <edjohnjr_at_cwix.com> wrote:
> After doing a 8.0.5 installation I then ran catalog and catproc.sql. I
> logged in as system/manager and received the following error message:
> Ora-06509: PL/SQL: ICD vector missing for this package,
> ORA-06512: at "SYSTEM.DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO", line 37, ORA-06512: at line 1.
> Spoke with technical support and had run a script file to find out what
> packages did not belong to system, then was instructed to "drop package
> system.dbms_(package name)" and rerun the script which I did. After
> dropping all the packages that were invalid I ran the script again and it
> left me with the following valid package for sys and system.
> (DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO). At this point I do not know what to do from here.
> Do I delete this package, do I leave it as it is, or is there some fix for
> this particular package. Oh! by the way I ran all the script file logged in
> as internal including catalog and catproc. Will this affect the performance
> of Oracle?
>
> edjohnjr_at_cwix.com

Eddie,

Running the following query:

SQL> select owner, object_type, status from dba_objects   2 where object_name = 'DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO' ;

you should get this result:

OWNER                          OBJECT_TYPE     STATUS
------------------------------ --------------- -------
SYS                            PACKAGE         VALID
SYS                            PACKAGE BODY    VALID
PUBLIC                         SYNONYM         VALID

You say that you have valid packages for sys and system so I suppose you will get this:

OWNER                          OBJECT_TYPE     STATUS
------------------------------ --------------- -------
SYS                            PACKAGE         VALID
SYS                            PACKAGE BODY    VALID
PUBLIC                         SYNONYM         VALID
SYSTEM                         PACKAGE         VALID
SYSTEM                         PACKAGE BODY    VALID

it means that you ran $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/catproc.sql as SYSTEM when it should be run connected as SYS.

Issuing the command
SQL> drop package SYSTEM.DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO ;

will remove the error message when you log in.

By the way, I recommend that you patch to 8.0.5.1 if you have not already done so.

Regards,
 James