Re: Export a 3 gigabyte database

From: Doug Cha <dcha_at_shell2.ba.best.com>
Date: 31 Jan 1999 20:36:02 GMT

An example:

	mknod comp.pipe p
	nohup compress <comp.pipe >export_file.Z &
	export to the comp.pipe file and it will generate the export_file.Z

	mknod uncomp.pipe p
	nohup uncompress <export_file.Z >uncomp.pipe &
	import from the uncomp.pipe file

Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote: : There is a way to export (on Unix) to a pipe, which is being : emptied by 'COMPRESS',

: However, you might consider doing a structural full export (rows = n).
: Then export a schema, or set of related tables at a time.
: This allows for several exports to run concurrently
: and can speed things up significantly.

: Import => import structure, then import data sets.
: Less benefit on concurrency here, since the limit is likely to be : redo rather than database file I/O

: Jonathan Lewis
: Yet another Oracle-related web site: www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

: Timothy Leung wrote in message <791t87$mmm$1_at_news.ctimail.com>...

:>I am trying to export the Oracle 7.3.4 entire database from Sun Solaris OS.
:>Since the file system does not allow a file larger than 2 Gigabytes. Is
:>there any way to split the export file? Further, I have the same problem on
:>NT also.
:>
:>Thanks in advance!
:>Tim