Re: Export a 3 gigabyte database

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 17:15:25 -0000

There is a way to export (on Unix) to a pipe, which is being emptied by 'COMPRESS',

However, you might consider doing a structural full export (rows = n). Then export a schema, or set of related tables at a time. This allows for several exports to run concurrently and can speed things up significantly.

Import => import structure, then import data sets. Less benefit on concurrency here, since the limit is likely to be redo rather than database file I/O

Jonathan Lewis