Re: Comparision with TIBCO, Vitria and MQ Series?

From: <maffeis_at_softwired-inc.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 16:55:20 GMT

Hi.

The event rate is being measured in very different ways. Some publish/subscribe middleware, such as Vitria, are based on a "hub-and-spoke" architecture. This means an event is always sent to a "channel server" (the hub) first, and from there it is delivered to each subscriber separately, by using one TCP/IP message per subscriber.

Now some vendors of hub&spoke middleware measure each published event actually as n+1 events being delivered! Hence one should ask for throughput numbers where the "number of published DISTINCT events" is measured.

I'd guess (just my personal opinion) that the TIB performance shown below was measured the "right" way, but that the Vitria number was not. It always takes about one millisecind to send an event via TCP, unless a) either aggressive buffering is used at the sender, or b) all the events delivered to the subscribers are added up.

I might be wrong, but as a matter of experience I'm a bit suspicious when somebody claims thousands of events/second being sent through a p&s channel.

Besides that, TIB (and iBus) use IP multicast communication and thus use network bandwidth much more efficiently than Vitria.

On this line, the iBus publish/subscribe middleware (http://www.softwired-inc.com/ibus) achieves about 400 events/sec (I.e., DISTINCT events published).

Silvano