Re: recovery

From: Stéphane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 16:02:13 -0800

randy.justice_at_smtp.cnet.navy.mil wrote:

> Hi..
>
> I had a disk to die. It contained the "redo" logs.
> How do I recover??
>
> Thanks in advanced
>
> Randy

See 'ALTER DATABASE' in the SQL reference manual, your solution is probably there.

  1. Do you have several members in your redo log groups? (in other words, are your redo log files mirrored [by Oracle] on several disks?). If this is the case, startup your database without opening it (startup mount), and drop the redo log file members which were on your now defunct disk before opening the database.
  2. If the answer to previous question is 'No', I presume you weren't working in archive log mode, either? I am afraid you are going to lose all the (committed) transactions which occurred since the last checkpoint. Polish your diplomatic skills before going to users. You can use the 'RESETLOGS' keyword to reopen your database and forget about what was in the current logfile.

--
Regards,

  Stéphane Faroult
  Oriole Corporation Received on Sat Jan 30 1999 - 18:02:13 CST